off-peak hours for your utilities

HomeForumsDIY TopicsEnergy Conservationoff-peak hours for your utilities

This topic has 1 voice, contains 1 reply, and was last updated by  sophieuliano 7 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

sophieuliano
September 6, 2007 at 10:35 pm

sophieuliano
September 6, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Until today, I was operating under the assumption that if I used my dishwasher, washing machine etc during the off-peak hours (which for some reason, I thought was after 9pm at night), I would be saving money. After calling my utility company today, I learned that there is no such thing as “off-peak” hours! Most everyone in the U.S. is on a flat-rate system, so it makes no difference what time you use your energy. This seems ludicrous to me. In an age when we should all be encouraged to save energy, it would make sense to have a tier system, where concerned citizens can choose to save money and energy by using these appliances at certain time. No wonder there are black-outs during the August dog days in Southern California when everyone is using A.C. as well as all their guzzling appliances the same time. Does anyone have a utility company that offers a different system?
Many companies are talking about “Smart Grid Technology” in the future where there will be communication through broadband powerlines to the utility company and customers will be able to choose “smart” times to run their energy. But that’s sometime in the future!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.