Where can I recycle my TV?

HomeForumsDIY TopicsQ&AWhere can I recycle my TV?

This topic has 5 voices, contains 7 replies, and was last updated by  priscilla 2384 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

stuboyle
July 16, 2007 at 11:38 pm

stuboyle
July 16, 2007 at 11:38 pm

I have a huge 32 inch TV where the tube is just about to go out on it. The damn thing must way close to 200 lbs. I want to recycle it in a responsible way but I am at a loss of where to bring it and I hate to have to pay anyone money for me to take it off my hands. It seems like I have seen $20 quoted somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions. BTW, I am in Dallas.

Alice
July 18, 2007 at 4:35 am

Hmmmm. I don’t know if you’re going to get away with not paying for it. That’s a heavy tv!! The recycling depots have any good ideas? Can you bribe some friends with good food? Craigslist? I’m sure someone could take it off your hands…perhaps they could use some of the parts? At least that’s some recycling.

Sorry, doesn’t help that I’m not from around there.

Bart
July 18, 2007 at 11:47 am

I would call your local government recycling devision and I’m sure they would give you a few places you can look at.

stuboyle
July 18, 2007 at 3:56 pm

I would call your local government recycling devision and I’m sure they would give you a few places you can look at.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I might try Craigs List and Freecycle first. Though, if I give it to someone, the vast majority of it will end up in the landfill anyway since the picture tube is about gone out.

I found a place which will recycle it but costs $20 and its so damn big and heavy, just getting it there is a problem. Though, I wonder if the $20 would be better spent on something else, not to mention the CO2 I will emit driving over to recycle it (which is about 40 miles round trip). On the otherhand, this $20 is part of the “total cost of ownership” which I should be responsible for. Similarly, we should all pay for emiting CO2 into the atmosphere.

Brooke Olive
July 31, 2007 at 1:35 am

Art schools may want it as well, for sculptures etc, you could try that.

Brooke Olive
July 31, 2007 at 1:37 am

Why don’t you try Earth911, there might be a recycling centre closer to you, and I’m sure that a television repair shop might even pick it up for you if they have deliveries etc in your area. Some parts are hard to come by for older tv sets.

priscilla
October 14, 2007 at 9:05 pm

These are some pretty good ideas. I like the art school one best.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.