Thanks to the high gas prices and filthy rich oil companies I think it’s fair to say that we’ve now been pushed over the edge. I believe that in the next 10-15 years electric cars will explode in popularity, and finally put the oil guzzling car of the 20th century into it’s grave.
That being said here are the definite cool factors of electric cars:
- No Engine - Who needs a big clunky engine? New technology is being developed right now for Mini QED, which basically turns each wheel into an electric motor. They’re much more compact and if one fails there is 3 others that just keep on going. The space saved can now be used to store batteries. The new Mini QED is an HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) and is said to have a range of 900 miles (YouTube Link).
- Reliability – Electric cars are not only efficient they’re reliable. Did you know the Solar Taxi has driven around the world powered by just the sun’s energy? Total distance covered: 53,451km.
- Great On The Wallet - Although initially they will be higher priced, maintenance and fuel costs will save you money in the long run. Cost per mile varies on many factors but it can be as low as 3.4c per mile, this will improve over time as electricity gets cheaper and more advanced technology develops. Check with your local government for tax breaks on electric cars.
- Solar Roof - Solar panels are constantly improving in efficiency and the the surface of your car translates to lots of free power from the sun. The Prius has already been modified to fit a solar roof extending it’s range and making driving even cheaper.
- They’re Damn Quiet - Imagine walking in a downtown of a major city and not hearing car engines Did you know that a boy got hit by an electric vehicle because it was so quiet? The government also passed a bill to study the “potential dangers” of quiet cars.
- Tesla Roadster - Just look at the stats:
- 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds
- 14,000 red line
- Burns no oil
- 244 miles per charge
- Pennies per mile
- Did I say it was sexy?
- No Infrastructure - Forget the hydrogen revolution and it’s trillion dollar infrastructure that has to be built… any PEV (Plug-in Electric Vehicle ) can be plugged right into your home’s power outlet. The money that would be spent on the hydrogen infrastructure should be used to upgrade our crumbling energy grid to prepare us for an all electric car society.
- Solar Windshields - Scientist are also working on solar panels that are transparent, this has many applications and car windows would be one of them.
- Solar Paint - Just as transparent solar panels, there is work being done on paint that will generate electricity. This effectively will make the entire surface of the car a power station, without hopefully needing to refuel ever.
- North America’s security… yes everyone talks about it but when you buy an electric car you start a movement that will eventually make North America oil free.
As a special feature I’m including the full movie “Who Killed the Electric Car “below, it’s a must see for anyone interested in “the big 3″ and hybrid-electric cars. Enjoy!