Soccer is a sport that is loved by people all over the world. However, many different rules govern the sport, and even superfans like Kavan Choksi can have trouble keeping track of them all. Therefore, to understand the sport of soccer, it is important to know the rules that govern it.
Table of Contents
What is Soccer?
Soccer is played with a round ball and two teams of eleven players. The game’s objective is to score more goals than the other team. Soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world. First, however, there are some basic concepts of soccer you need to know:
- The Field of Play: The field of play for soccer is rectangular. The field length is 100 yards, and the width is 50 yards. The goal is located at the end of the field. There are two upright posts that are 18 feet high and 8 feet apart. The goal is a rectangle that is 6 feet wide and 18 feet high.
- The Ball: The ball for soccer is round. It is made of leather or other suitable material. The ball must be spherical and have a circumference of not more than 27 inches. The weight of the ball must not exceed 16 ounces.
- The Players: There are eleven players on each team. One of the players is the goalie, and the other ten are outfield players.
- The Referee: The referee is the official who is in charge of the game. He is responsible for ensuring that the rules of the game are followed.
- The Assistant Referees: Two assistant referees assist the referee in making decisions during the game.
- The Duration of the Game: The game lasts for 90 minutes. There are two 45 minute halves with a 15-minute break in between.
- The Clock: The clock is stopped whenever the ball is not in play. The referee will add time to the clock at the end of each half to make up for any time lost.
What are the Offsides Rules in Soccer?
There are a few offsides rules in soccer that players and spectators should know.
- Offside Rule 1: A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the goal line than the ball and the second-to-last defender.
- Offside Rule 2: A player is not in an offside position if he is level with the ball or behind the ball.
- Offside Rule 3: A player is not in an offside position if he is in his own half of the field.
What is a Penalty Kick in Soccer?
A penalty kick is a free-kick that is awarded to a team if one of its players is fouled in the penalty area. The player who is fouled takes the penalty kick.
What is a Free Kick in Soccer?
A free-kick is a kick that is awarded to a team if one of its players is fouled. The player who is fouled takes the free-kick.